Bucatini with Pistachio and Pine Nut Pesto
This pesto has a nutty quality with an added burst of freshness from the lemon juice.
Author: Lemons & Anchovies
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 1 cup
- 3 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves
- ½ - ¾ cup olive oil (Use the larger amount if you like an looser pesto)
- ¼ - ½ cup pine nuts (and/or combination pistachio and pine nuts) Toast in a dry pan for 2 - 3 minutes on medium heat until fragrant. Cool slightly before processing with basil leaves
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- Salt to taste
- ⅓ cup freshly grated parmigiano
- Juice of about half a lemon
- Put all the ingredients, except the cheese, in a food processor and process until smooth. Add a tablespoon at a time of the lemon juice until you are satisfied with the level of acidity. I usually add two tablespoons while processing and add more later. Pour the sauce into a bowl and stir in the parmigiano. Stir into your favorite pasta. I like to drizzle extra olive oil and lemon to my plate.
- This will be enough pesto for a pound of pasta with some leftover (roughly one cup) Cover the unused portion with plastic wrap and refrigerate (or freeze). This will keep well for several days.