Orzo with Pesto, Shrimp, Eggplant and Artichokes
Add your favorite veggies and your choice of protein in this versatile Orzo dish with pesto.
Author: Lemons & Anchovies
- ½ pound orzo pasta, cooked according to package directions
- ½ bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup eggplant, diced
- 4-5 frozen artichoke heart pieces, defrosted in microwave
- A handful of shrimp (I didn't measure how much I used but feel free to add as little or as much as you want)
- ½ - ⅔ cup pesto sauce (My favorite pesto recipe uses pistachios for a nuttier sauce. Recipe here: http://bit.ly/P7cELG )
- Olive Oil for sautéing and drizzling
- Fresh lemon juice (optional)
- salt and pepper, taste
- Heat olive oil (2-3 tablespoons) over medium-high heat in a sauté pan. Add the artichoke pieces and cook for 2 minutes until they start to get brown on the edges. Add the shrimp, bell pepper and eggplant and cook for another 3-4 minutes just until the vegetables start to get soft and the shrimp are pink. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the stove and remove from heat.
- From here it's just a matter of tossing all the other ingredients together.
- In a large bowl, add the orzo and pesto and toss until the pasta is coated with the latter. Add the veggie and shrimp mixture and stir to combine. Add more pesto sauce if you feel it needs more flavor. I like to drizzle mine with a little extra olive oil and about 1 tablespoon lemon juice right before serving.
- This will serve 2-3 as a main course and more as a side (can omit the shrimp if serving as a side dish).