Apple-Pecan Quinoa Muffins
Forget greasy muffins. These muffins are packed with apples and pecans and healthy, too.
Author: Lemons & Anchovies
Serves: Makes 12 muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or your flour of choice)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup lightly-packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup milk (I used nonfat)
- 1 cup chopped apples (about ½ large)
- ½ cup chopped pecans (I used candied pecans for more flavor)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 12-muffin tin (or use cupcake liners; I used a ⅓ cup muffin tin) and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and baking soda in a large bowl then stir in the cooked quinoa.
- In a separate bowl combine the oil, milk and egg then stir into the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the apples and pecans and spoon the batter into the muffin tin.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack before serving.
Substituting the apples and pecans for other fruit and nuts, as well as substituting the whole wheat flour for gluten-free flour, this would make a good base for other flavor combinations.