Quinoa Cakes with Yogurt-Dill Dip
These quinoa cakes are packed with flavor and they're baked so they're healthy, too.
Author: Lemons & Anchovies
Recipe type: Appetizer, Side Dish
Serves: Makes 9 cakes
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (a little less than one cup uncooked)
- 1 stalk green onions, chopped using both green and white parts
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped (I used half green and half yellow)
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic (or use 1-2 cloves fresh, finely chopped)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon no-salt seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sumac (you can substitute with zest of one lemon)
- A few turns of freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ***For the Dip***
- 3 Tablespoons yogurt (I use nonfat yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon Mayo (I use Vegenaise), optional. You can just use 4 tbsn yogurt instead
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Pinch of salt
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions. I cooked two cups raw quinoa in 3½ cups vegetable stock and ended up with 5-6 cups cooked. I used two cups cooked for this recipe. If cooking quinoa for this recipe, wait for the quinoa to cool before using.
- To make the dip, combine the dip ingredients in a bowl and chill in the refrigerator while you prepare the cakes.
- To make the cakes, combine the cooked quinoa, Parmesan, green onions, bell pepper, parsley, garlic, cumin, no-salt seasoning, cayenne pepper, sumac, black pepper, flour, baking powder and eggs in a large bowl.
- Form into roughly two-inch patties by first rolling into a ball in your palms then flattening a bit. They will seem fragile but they won't fall apart at all. Arrange them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or nonstick foil.
- When you're ready to bake them, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Bake the cakes for about 20 minutes on one side them flip them over and bake for another 10 minutes until they're golden and crisp. Serve warm with the yogurt-dill dip.