- 2 bell peppers, any color, sliced lengthwise and seeds removed
- 1 cup cooked couscous
- 5 – 7 cremini mushrooms, sliced or chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (you can also use tomato sauce for a “wetter” mixture)
- 6 marinated kalamata olives, chopped
- A few splashes of stock
- A few tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Slices of Manchego cheese
- Olive Oil
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over medium high heat and add mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms for a few minutes until they start to brown then add the cooked couscous. Add the chopped olives, cook for a minute then transfer the mixture to a bowl. Add the tomato paste to the same pan; you may need to add a bit more olive oil to the pan, as well. Cook the tomato paste over medium heat to remove some of the acidity and build the flavor a bit. Add a splash or two of stock and stir into the tomato paste. Add back the couscous/mushroom mixture and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the chopped fresh mint.
Divide the mixture among the bell pepper halves and top with cheese slices. You may have some of the mixture left over. Place the stuffed peppers on a baking sheet and bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until the cheese has browned and the peppers have lost some of their crunch.