Basque Pumpkin Cornbread
Author: Lemons & Anchovies
Recipe type: Bread
- 1 cup puréed pumpkin
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 cups cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, room temperature, separated
- 1 tablespoon light or dark rum, optional
- Butter a cake pan (7 inches round and 4 inches height), line the bottom with wax paper and butter the wax paper. I didn't have a cake pan with these dimensions so I used a stainless steel saucepan of a similar size.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Pour the pumpkin purée in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, butter and sugar on low heat, stirring constantly until the butter has melted. Pour the milk mixture to the pumpkin. Add the cornmeal ½ cup at a time, stirring to blend thoroughly. Stir in the salt.
- Add the egg yolks to the pumpkin mixture and blend thoroughly using a spatula. Stir in the rum if using. In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with a hand mixer until stiff. Fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake on the middle shelf of your oven for about an hour, or when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. If your knife comes out wet, bake for another 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes before unmolding. Slice into thin servings and serve warm.