Slow Cooker Asian-Style Short Ribs
Let your slow cooker do all the work. What you'll get are fall-of-the-bone, flavorful ribs.
Author: Lemons & Anchovies
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 4 - 4½ pounds beef short ribs
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup + 1 - 2 tablespoons brown sugar (loosely packed)
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup orange juice
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut in 1-2 inch pieces
- Combine all the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on High for 4-4½ hours (or low for about 6 hours). Stir once or twice throughout the cooking period. The ribs were super tender at the 4.5 hour mark.
- The flavors are best when reheated the next day so I recommend cooking a day ahead. The steam from the slow cooker will create a lot of sauce. I separated the sauce from the beef once it was cooked, refrigerated and threw out the fat that solidified at the top. I added back the sauce when I reheated the short ribs the next day.
I used Korean-cut short ribs here. If you end up using the larger English-cut short ribs, you may need to cook them just a little longer.