- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (I like to drizzle more on top before serving)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (I used two)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped (I used 4 large ones)
- 8 – 10 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound spaghetti
- hot pepper flakes (I use about a teaspoon or so)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (I use twice this much, half to mix into “sauce” as it cooks and the other half to top the pasta)
- Last, but not least, I added the juice of about half a lemon
- I also add about 1/4 – 1/3 cup of the pasta water
Spaghetti with Anchovies
Just a handful of pantry staples is all you need for an umami-packed, speedy meal.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4-5 cloves garlic chopped
- 8-10 anchovy fillets
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes or to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley chopped
- 1/2 lemon juice of
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 cup pasta water optional
Prepare the pasta: Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add about one tablespoon of kosher salt and cook the pasta until al dente (usually one to two minutes earlier than the recommended cooking time on the package).
Prepare the sauce: While the pasta cooks heat the butter and oil over medium heat in a skillet large enough to accommodate the pasta. When the butter begins to foam, add the garlic, anchovies and red pepper flakes.
Cook, occasionally stirring with a wooden spoon, for six to eight minutes, adjusting the heat so the garlic doesn't burn. The garlic should become tender and take on only a light brown color. After this time the anchovy fillets will have dissolved into the oil and butter.
The pasta should be ready by this time. Reserve about one cup of the pasta water and drain the pasta.
Add the drained pasta to the skillet and toss with the parsley and lemon juice. Taste and season with salt if you feel it needs it, though anchovies tend to be salty enough already. If the pasta looks dry, add 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water at a time and toss. You may also drizzle more olive oil according to your liking.
Plate the pasta and serve with lemon wedges and additional parsley if you wish.