I couldn’t let this year close without one more post. I am still on vacation–will be ringing in 2012 on the beach. I just wanted a chance to thank you for keeping me company here and for making 2011 such a fun blogging year–I’m looking forward to sharing more delicious times with you!
I have limited kitchen resources at my disposal but the warm, tropical weather I’ve been enjoying here in Maui inspired me to create something refreshing for my taste buds. What started out as an idea for an appetizer using Belgian endives was not to be, but making use of the freshest ingredients at the market yielded this winner of a salad. I seared a half-pound piece of fresh ahi and added it to mizuna leaves, green mango strips and avocado, all tossed in a simple lime vinaigrette. The result was a fresh, bright combination of flavors and complementary textures.
Please excuse the less-than-pretty assembly and the stingy ahi serving. My dull knife wouldn’t allow for clean slices so only a few pieces were worthy of a photo. Not to worry–we ate all of the fish, pretty or not. We enjoyed healthy helpings of this salad while gazing contentedly at the magnificent Pacific Ocean from our balcony…but beautiful scenery is completely optional. This salad is tasty enough to stand on its own. In fact, I can’t wait to prepare it when I return home.
Seared Ahi, Mizuna, Green Mango and Avocado Salad
* Serves 2
- 1/2 pound piece of fresh ahi
- 1 bunch mizuna leaves (or use the slightly more peppery arugula)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 mango, peeled and sliced thinly
- Juice of one lime
- Olive oil
- salt and pepper
- wasabi, optional (I will add a bit of wasabi paste to the dressing next time)
- Sear the ahi on 4 sides, lengthwise over high heat. Make sure the oil is very hot to prevent sticking to the pan. Set aside.
- To prepare the dressing, combine lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Add as much olive oil as you need to balance out the tartness of the dressing. I went a little heavier to counter the tartness of the green mango.
- Toss the mizuna, mango and avocado in the lime vinaigrette and arrange on a plate.
- Slice the seared ahi and serve on top of the salad.