Mixed Greens with Apples, Candied Pecans and Cranberry Vinaigrette
Here is a healthy way to use up those bags of cranberries from Thanksgiving.
Author: Lemons & Anchovies
Recipe type: Salad
- For 1 cup of cooked, strained cranberries:
- 1 12-oz bag cranberries, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅜ cup water
- 2 tablespoons orange juice or lemon juice (feel free to add another tablespoon or two to make it more tart...or reduce the sugar)
- For the vinaigrette (see directions below for proportions):
- Olive oil
- Rice vinegar (a little sweeter but you can also sub red wine or cider vinegar)
- salt, to taste
- For the salad:
- mixed greens
- Feta cheese, cubed
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- Candied pecans (I use Trader Joe's but you can use any nuts)
- Apple slices
- To prepare the cranberries:
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the cranberries and cook over medium to medium-high heat until they pop, about 4-5 minutes. Add the juice and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat and pass the cooked cranberries to a sieve to separate the skin and seeds. This will yield 1 cup. Set aside.
- To prepare the vinaigrette:
- There is no strict rule here. Adjust the proportion of oil, vinegar and cranberries to your liking. I started with 2 tablespoons of cranberries to 4 tablespoons of vinegar and ¼ cup of oil. Taste as you go. As you can see from my pictures, mine was light on the vinegar and olive oil so I added more of both after taking these pictures. Whisk together to emulsify.
- To assemble the salad:
- Toss the vinaigrette with the mixed greens, onions, cheese, apples and nuts--plate and serve.