I have mentioned a few times during the last few posts that I have been cleaning out my refrigerator. On weekends when my husband and I don’t feel like going out to dinner odd leftover vegetables and meat make their way into fried rice. The variations are endless and the results foolproof. I am always happy to dig into a big bowl of rice. This past week, however, rice wasn’t the answer to bringing the odd items in my fridge together. In fact, I didn’t think I had any hope of scraping together one dish out of what I failed to use up during the week.
I had cooked bacon, arugula, red pepper corn tortillas, feta cheese and yes, more fresh figs. The latter were the inspiration for the sandwich in my previous post and again, they ended up being the foundation of this dish made of leftovers. At first I wasn’t sure what to do with them but I really do enjoy the taste of broiled figs. I thought their sweetness would complement the saltiness of the bacon and feta cheese but what next?
Then the recent–unsatisfied–craving for pizza gave way to the idea to use the tortillas exactly that way. Why not, I thought. I brushed the tortillas with olive oil and layered my leftovers over them. The resulting “pizzas” were so much more than I thought I would get out of my random items. I baked the tortillas with the toppings on an inverted baking tray. Just a 2-3 minute rest out of the oven gave me perfectly crisp thin-crust “pizzas”. They were wonderful! For the sake of allowing you to see the individual components of the dish, I added just a few arugula leaves but I actually piled them on after my quick photo shoot. The peppery arugula were perfect with the sweet figs.
I recognize that I’m no pioneer on the use of tortillas as a pizza but I can see why others before me would have done it. Tortillas require no prep work and, at least this time, they satisfied my pizza craving. I regret all the leftover tortillas I’ve wasted when they could have been turned into this. Now I know.
- The ingredients are for 2 5-6 inch pizzas
- 2 corn tortillas (I used red pepper corn tortillas)
- 4 fresh figs, sliced (2 figs per pizza)
- A handful crumbled, cooked bacon (about 2 strips)
- A handful crumbled feta cheese
- Olive Oil for brushing on tortilla
- Balsamic Vinegar for brushing on figs
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Invert a baking tray and line it with aluminum foil. You can also use a pizza stone if you have one.
- Set the tortillas on the lined baking sheet. Brush each tortilla with a little olive oil. Arrange the fig slices on the tortilla and brush lightly with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Sprinkle the crumbled feta followed by the bacon.
- Bake the pizzas for 8-10 minutes or until the edges of the tortillas are crisp and brown. Transfer the pizzas to a plate. They won’t be perfectly crisp right out of the oven but a few minutes rest on the baking tray will do the trick. Garnish with as much arugula as you like before serving.